Umar Ain't A Gangsta....He's An Military Brat...or Just A Brat

From:  http://kentakepage.com/interview-with-dr-umar-johnson/

The Prince of Pan-Africanism: An Interview with Dr. Umar Johnson

Uchenna Edeh | July 13, 2014

Dr. Umar Johnson is considered a national expert on learning disabilities and their effect on Black children, as well as being an expert on helping schools and parents modify challenging behaviours that can ultimately lead to disorder diagnoses in Black Boys. He is a Certified School Psychologist who practices privately throughout Pennsylvania and lectures throughout the United States and the world. He has been featured prominently in all 3 of the popular Hidden Colours documentary series. He is also the author of a new book titled The Psycho- Academic War Against Black Boys.


On a recent visit to Montreal, Quebec in Canada, Dr. Umar discussed with Kentakepage his background, inspirations, challenges and his ambitious goal of establishing the Frederick Douglass Marcus Garvey RBG International Leadership Academy for Black boys in Lawrenceville, Virginia.Dr. Umar’s passion, love and commitment to addressing and offering solutions to Black peoples conditions was evident throughout this powerful discussion.
Born on August 21st 1974, in North Central, Philadelphia, Dr. Umar is the oldest boy of 11 eleven children (6 boys, 5 girls – 2 older sisters). He went to elementary and high school in North Central, PA. One of his ancestors is the great abolitionist Frederick Douglass.
Dr. Umar attended a para military style high school. He went to summer school in Fort Bragg, North Carolina where he performed mandatory general JROTC duties. His father was a drill instructor in the United States Marine Corps. He credits his father for instilling discipline in him and his mother for developing his sense of compassion.
“I got my compassion from my mother. She is a very caring person. She would give you the clothes off of her back if she would need to. That’s where my love for people comes from. It’s from my mom. Sometimes it’s a love to a fault though because we can allow people to take advantage of us because of our desire to help so much.
With my father, that’s where I got my discipline from. Obviously, him being a drill instructor for the United Sates Marine Corps he was very, very firm… possibly even to a detriment. Sometimes I wonder if I came to choose the field of psychology because of how firm he was, but it was the balance. You had the extreme compassion from your mom and you had the extreme non-emotional discipline from the father.
I think both of them have benefited me because when I look at what is happening to our children even working in schools, it’s amazing the professionals I come across who really don’t care about the children they service. This is Black and white. I say to myself, “Why is this person a building principal? Why is she a councilor? Why is he a classroom teacher? A lot of people lose their love for the children as they move through their career. So my compassion I think, my sense of concern is probably one of my greatest assets that I take into work every day. The discipline is very important too because it allows me to stay focused on my goals. I don’t think I would sit here now, you know with 6 degrees, had it not been for that work ethic that my father had instilled in me early on in life.”
From 8th -12th grade, Dr. Umar attended Scotland School, where he graduated and then went to college for a double major and double degree in psychology and political science.
Read the rest at http://kentakepage.com/interview-with-dr-umar-johnson/

Umar's high school website at https://ssvcalumni.org/ (No gangsterism here...)


So you see, folks...all this...


...is fake.  Umar is a military brat with a tough, disciplinarian father.  He is not a gangsta. 



I recommend that he stop trying to play gangsta, or to paraphrase one Philly OG said, "these streets will bite you." 





Trueblackanonymous You Tube Channel
@BLKAnonymous

Comments

  1. Umar did not attend the Scotland School in 8th Grade. He only spent his 9-12th grade years there. For 7th and 8th grade Dr. Johnson attended Beeber Junior High School in the Wynnefield section of West Philadelphia.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Mamma Number Three...

A Fraction of A Man

Generic Order