Who is Umar Johnson?

I first became aware of a man who called himself Dr. Umar Rashad Abdullah-Johnson through a book I read called The Psychological Covert War on Hip Hop by Professor Griff. In the book, he was presented as having a disagreement with a young person about homosexuality.

Later in 2012, I heard Umar say on various YouTube videos that he is raising money to open the Frederick Douglass/Marcus Garvey (FDMG) Academy for Boys  It was to be a boarding school which was to teach African spirituality, agriculture, financial literacy, among other topics, in addition to the traditional school subjects.  The now defunct HBCU, St. Paul's College in Lawrenceville, VA, was up for sale at auction. So, "Dr." Umar announced that he was accepting donations to buy St. Paul's College to turn it into the FDMG Academy.  He accepted donations through the mail and through a PayPal account that was set up for fundraising purposes.  His goal was to raise $2 to $5 million dollars, depending on what video you watch.

Outside of my thinking that a school like this seems to be a great idea, I didn't think much of it and I didn't donate.  I did take note that Umar Johnson claimed he was a blood relative of Frederick Douglass.

Umar says he's a blood relative of Frederick Douglass

Others, like Deborrah Cooper, didn't think the idea was feasible and raised excellent points.  To paraphrase Ms. Cooper, Johnson:
  • Never said where he matriculated
  • Never produced a written business plan for the project
  • Never named any person(s) to be on his board of directors
  • Never named the agency that certified him as a 'nationally certified' psychologist
  • Never outlines in writing a Plan B if St.Paul's college cannot be purchased
  • Never sells the people on why he's the right person for this project
From:  Ask Ms. Heartbeat

Ms. Cooper certainly raised some valid points that I agree with.  Further, since I have been studying Dr. Umar and this school, I cannot see how the school can be built and sustained on donations alone. Further, I don't know of anyone who buys a major piece of property without some financing.

Now, I'm not that smart and I certainly don't have a PhD in Finance, but I know when something doesn't add up, sound right, or make sense.

Besides, who is Umar Johnson?  Is he a clinical psychologist?  Is he an administrator?  Is he a hustler?  Or is he a con artist?

Hmmm...






Trueblackanonymous You Tube Channel
@BLKAnonymous

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Mamma Number Three...

A Fraction of A Man

Generic Order